Saturday, January 1, 2011

01012011 - Linked Review

Finally.. I manage to finish the "Linked-Barabasi" book. Took me quite a while to finish the book, since some urgent tasks "busted" into my priority list LOL.


"Linked" was published earlier than "Bursts", however I read them in an adversed way. Personally, I find that Linked is more enjoyable to read than Bursts. Although Linked was firstly published 7 years ago (2003), it is contextual to our daily life (the era of internet). In Bursts, I pretty much annoyed by the papacy chapters. In Linked, some accompanying stories are perfectly coupled with the concepts introductions.

I learned many new ideas from Linked. The dispute of Erdös-Renyi network, the scale free network topology, the six degrees of separations concepts are some of them. While I was reading, I list some of the concepts that have caught my attention. I attach the sketch below. I think that the way Barabasi explains the concept of network thinking is really good.


Some years ago a guy said, "It is good to read something that is written by an expert from different school of thought". I think that his opinion makes sense. A person living in a box is able to see the interior but not the exterior. Hence having another perspective will build a more holistic view. Anyway, have a nice weekend, and have a brilliant new year too :p

No comments:

Post a Comment