Tuesday, July 3, 2012

R & Gephi - a Starter Story

For the last couple of weeks, I have forced my self to use R-statistics for my data mining / machine learning/ predictive analyses.  The big fear was coming from the basic freaky "geeky" console that does not reflect user friendliness.  However, someone recommended me to use R-Studio for a better way to access R.  I've used it and have become a bit addicted to it.

The growing R communities that have developed numerous useful free packages thrill me a lot.  We can find a lot of free packages for any data analysis technique.  We just have to invest a bit of time to read each package's documentation, try-out some easy tutorials, and then apply the technique to our problem.  Moreover some visualization packages that will convert your analysis results into appealing charts are also available (e.g. the legendary "ggplor2", arulesViz, etc).  I show a sample visualization in the chart below, for more great stuffs and research inspirations we can visit the r-blogger and many other great blogs.


So why wait using this brilliant powerful free- analytic tool.  One other thing, in the near future I may need to visualize network charts beautifully.  The gephi free software may be a strong option.  I've noticed that many (network) researchers recommend it, I may give it a try (if the time permits.. help..@_@) .. The video teaser is quite appealing...


Introducing Gephi at JavaOne from gephi on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment